Picking vendors to work with is not something I take lightly. I put so much time and effort into the quality of the items I want my clients to have access to. They have to be well-made, fit right and fit into the style I want to offer. I feel like I have looked at a lot of vendors and I only have a couple that I just love working with….Sue’s Little Pieces is always at the top of my list.
This sweet gal lives in another country and I have not met her face to face but I feel like she is such a part of my business and what makes it successful. She is my friend from afar. If you have booked a newborn session with me chances are your baby has worn one of her outfits.
Meet my friend, Sue….
Hi my sweet friend. Tell me a little bit about what you do.
- Firstly I like to say I feel very privileged for the kind consideration you have given me to be part of this blog. I like to make tiny little outfits for newborn photographers. These outfits are designed to fit the tiny body closely so as emphasize the babies body form. I use mostly delicate lace weight yarns and stretch lace or jersey.
What made you decide to name your business Sue’s Little Pieces?
- Well I’m not afraid to say I run off my beautiful daughter Kelly’s coat tails. Her business is Little Pieces Photography!!
What inspired you to start knitting and sewing?
- Boredom had set in as I recovered from a bone marrow transplant. I saw the little outfits that Kelly was using and I thought I could make those, so I called on some old skills and put them to use. I work at a slower pace these days, if i was to put in place more vibrant and effective advertising I could certainly be busier but that is the beauty of being your own boss.
What are some of your favorite things you have made?
- I love using Monkey Moo Moo’s Patterns. When I first started out she helped me immensely. I like to put my own spin on her patterns by the way of yarn choice. I just adore knitting the lacy bonnets and in some cases the matching pants. Other favourites are the more chunky cabled bonnets which look beautiful in a warmer more rustic pose. With sewing, I love the tiny little lace leggings, the all in one body suits made out of gorgeous laces or a nice fine wool jersey. Recently I have started making lightweight linen bonnets, quite old world as they are adorned with beautiful laces.
Do you have a favorite type of material or yarn type to work with?
- My favourite fabrics are as previously mentioned, are stretch laces and lightweight stretch wool jersey. I always use good quality fabrics as they hold their shape well. The yarns I use are generally pure merino wool in different plys, my favourite being the lace weight 2 ply. It is like knitting with spun fairy floss ! So very delicate ! I am always open to experimenting with different fabrics and yarns, constantly on the lookout for something that just might give my product the edge.
Do you have other hobbies outside of making amazing outfits for babies?
- These days I have taken to gardening in a big way. I think most Australians affected by the restraints of covid are into gardening at the moment. My other hobby is cooking, Stephanie you don’t know this but years ago I owned a pizza and pasta restaurant. I just love creating a beautiful meal especially when I can introduce my own freshly grown herbs. The decor of my home is very important to me, I am continually changing things up, much to my husbands chagrin.
What is it like down in your part of the world? I have never been to Australia and would love to visit one day.
- Four and a half years ago we moved from the very busy city of Brisbane, in Queensland, to the peaceful rural town of Tenterfield in northern New south Wales. We don’t have traffic in this sleepy little town and everyone is very friendly. The town thrives on its beef and wool industry. Tourism brings many a visitor to these parts in search of the national parks and the boutique wine industry. There are lots of activities in this area, it is called the New England, for people looking for adventure in the way of hiking, bike riding and camping. The beauty of this raw country side attracts many photographers and artists. I have lived in many cities within New South Wales over the years, my children growing up as great athletes, excelling in volleyball, netball, basketball, cricket, swimming, rugby league and soccer. You name it, they played it. The opportunities endless. Australia is a sporting nation and has produced many sporting heroes.
What is one of your favorite things to do outside of knitting and outfit making?
- I suppose the most favourite thing is catching up with my beautiful family but covid times prevent that at the moment and I miss them terribly. Catching up with friends over a good cup of tea is always nice but I have to admit I’m a mad keen shopper. I love shopping!!
Thanks Sue for taking a few minutes so my clients can get to know the amazing woman behind my outfits. There are days when I am sitting having a cup of tea and I just think maybe one day we can have that cup together. Thank you for being a part of my business and helping me create my vision to look exactly the way I want it to.
If you are thinking of booking a newborn session, I would love to chat with you. You can reach me HERE to learn more and get your due date on my calendar.